Recently they have been some news stories on Mermaid Fins and their safety concerns. This was sparked by a video which was circulating on Facebook in July this year of a young girl who gets into difficulty while swimming in a full length, leg enclosed Mermaid Tail. We understand that many of you may have questions about this.
At the time of starting MermaidTails.com.au I looked into bringing the full enclosed mermaid tails in from the USA. Upon contacting SAI Global, a company that deals with product compliance, it became clear that the design of these enclosed tails brought inherent safety risks and would not necessarily pass Australian safety standards. I was advised against selling this type of tail and have never looked back.
This is why we went sell the Mahina range. Not only do Mahina not do a full enclosed tail, but they were designed right here in Australia, and have gone to the considerable cost and effort to ensure all their products meet all relevant safety standards.
Whilst we wholeheartedly endorse the warnings these news stories have given such as always supervising your children whilst swimming (with or without a tail!) and ensuring your kids can swim before putting them in a fin, these simply fall into line with the warnings already printed on the Mahina products and the message we've always tried to communicate.
At this time we only sell Mahina Mermaid products, who have compiled the following for your reassurance.
THE FEATURED FINS AND TAILS WERE NOT MAHINA MERMAID PRODUCTS. MAHINA MERMAID'S LIL MERFIN & CLASSIC MERFIN ARE KNOWN AS THE SAFEST MERMAID MONO FINS ON THE MARKET.
We have sold thousands of fins all over the world and have never had a safety issue raised with us at all.
We are confident that our fins are the leaders in this industry and wanted to stipulate some factors that will help you to maintain confidence in our brand.
- Mahina Mermaid has never sold full length, leg enclosed Mermaid tails and does not endorse the use of full length, leg enclosed Mermaid tails as we have always had safety concerns about these products.
- We do not recommend the use of our mono fins in any full length, leg enclosed Mermaid tails.
- ALL Mahina Mermaid's Products are tried and tested thoroughly and we have been operating for over four years and sold tens of thousands of our products around the world. In this time we have never received a single complaint about the safety of our products.
- When the above mentioned video circulated in the USA we were contacted by the USA CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) who, when they received our samples advised they were not concerned with our products.
Unfortunately the Channel 7 news did mention mono fins (not ours) and made the following recommendations, which basically echo the same safety message which we print on our fins and on our packaging which is:
- The products should only be used by competent swimmers.
- Children should always be supervised at all times when in the water.
- All Mahina Mermaid products comply with ASTM F-963 (Standard consumer safety specification for Toy Safety)
- Safety is Mahina's Paramount Concern and she is recognised as a leader in the Mermaid Fin Industry with product design & development with safety her main objective. The NEW Lil MerFin was designed with safety as the sole objective. Quick, easy to release ankle straps that can easily flick off.
- The QUICK RELEASE Foot Strap incorporated into Mahina Mermaid MerFins ensures the feet are easily freed. The leggings also ensure legs and feet are free from full tails.
We hope this information will help you who have any concerns after seeing the news article that:
- It was mainly in relation to full length, leg enclosed mermaid tails and Mahina Products were not featured.
- Our products all come with a quick release foot strap and have been reviewed by the USA CPSC and we have been advised they are not concerned with our products.
The mythology and fascination with mermaids has been around for centuries and will continue to play a part in girls' imaginations for centuries to come.
Mahina Mermaid is the safety leader in the Mermaid mono fin industry and will continue to produce safe Mermaid mono fins of premium quality to enable little girls' dreams of mermaids to come true.
For a safe and fun Mermaiding experience, be assured that Mahina Mermaid's MerFins are the answer.
We really appreciate all of your support and confidence in our brand and product. We hope you may join us in spreading the message of safe mermaiding and reassure your customers the safest way to enjoy Mermaiding is with The Mahina Mermaid Classic and Lil MerFin.
The Mahina Mermaid Team x