Photo by Ted Grambeau/Barcroft USA
Oceans cover most of our planet, but we still have a lot to learn about this incredible ecosystem. Brush up on your knowledge of our watery world so you can wow your friends at your next Mermaid Tails catch up!
- Earth’s oceans are unique in the universe - as far as we know… No other planets have large bodies of water quite like our oceans that have been discovered as yet. I wonder what an alien mermaid might look like?!
- About two thirds of all marine life remains unidentified. Most are probably small animals and organisms, but some scientists think there may be up to eight species of whales and dolphins yet to be identified… and maybe some merpeople frolicking in the depths?
- About 90% of the ocean floor is still unmapped, and it may never be charted in our lifetime. No wonder the mermaids are finding it so easy to hide!
- Mysterious rivers and lakes exist underground all over the world, in Britain, the United States (including Texas), and near Greece, with creatures found nowhere else. Perhaps vast mermaid kingdoms are also hiding below the surface?
- But the biggest unknown is how to go about studying the ocean. New technological advances are being made all the time helping us to explore further, but will we ever learn everything if most of its depths might not want to be found?
So to all you mermaids, we say put your tails on and start exploring! You never know what you might find!